Get ready for a Mexican-flavoured dinner with this Chicken Fajita recipe! As a kid, I loved Tex-Mex cuisine – fajitas, tacos, quesadillas… These foods were one of my favourites. And they were definitely my fallback option when I didn’t know what to order at a restaurant. Especially those quesadillas. I could never go wrong ordering those for dinner.
Nowadays my tastes have changed and expanded quite a bit, however I still enjoy the flavours of Tex-Mex every now and then. And these amazing Chicken Fajitas fit the bill! They’re simple to make, yet perfectly bring together the Mexican-inspired flavours that everyone recognizes and enjoys.
The great thing about this recipe is that the chicken can be prepared and marinated in advance, making it a go-to weeknight dinner. You can even prep large batches and freeze the marinated chicken, so that all you have to do is let it thaw overnight and only have to take care of the vegetables the next day.
Speaking of vegetables, one of my favourite things about this dish is how colourful it is. The red, green, orange, and yellow bell peppers mixed with the red onion pretty much cover all the colours of the rainbow. And there’s nothing that I encourage more than to eat fruits and veggies in a variety of colours for a spectrum of different nutrients.
Lastly, let’s talk about the tortilla wraps. Personally, anything that is made from scratch trumps the store-bought variety. Which is why I love these homemade tortillas from The Café Sucre Farine. This is the recipe I follow when I have the time to make the wraps from scratch. Otherwise, you can save time with store-bought wraps (make sure to read the ingredients!) or serving the chicken with grains such as quinoa, barley, amaranth, millet, or rice.
1 lb chicken breast, skinless and boneless
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (add more for extra spiciness!)
2 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp olive oil
½ (if large) or 1 (if small) of each of the following bell peppers: red, orange, green, yellow
¼ red onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
Coconut oil, for cooking
Tortilla wraps (see note)
Fresh parsley, optional
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse the chicken breast and pat dry. Cut into strips (about ¾-inch thick).
- Add the marinade to the chicken strips and mix well. Set aside to marinate while preparing the vegetables. See note below.
- Cut the peppers into strips and slice the onion length-wise.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet or wok, medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sautee for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and peppers, and continue to sautee for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and transfer vegetables to a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat some more coconut oil in the skillet/wok at medium-high heat and add the chicken strips.
- Sautee the chicken for about 5-7 minutes, and then add the vegetables that were set aside.
- Mix everything together and turn heat to low. Adjust for salt and pepper if needed. After 3 minutes remove from heat.
- Serve in wraps and add fresh parsley if desired.
The chicken strips can be marinated in the fridge up to 24 hours in advance.
Instead of using tortillas, another great option for the fajita chicken is to serve with grains such as quinoa, barley, amaranth, or rice.
Do you have a past (or present) favourite Tex-Mex style dish? Share below!
[cp_modal display=”inline” id=”cp_id_22840″][/cp_modal]